Maja_K
Maja_K  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:29
Member (2013)
English to Macedonian
+ ...
Jul 17, 2019

Do you send emails as a reminder to people who post questions here, and yet do not seem to resolve/close these questions even after weeks or months? I know they get a reminder 2 weeks after they posted the question, but after I gave an answer to a question, I am interested to know what answer was used as the translation equivalent (regardless of whether the chosen answer would be mine or not).

Barbara Turchetto
Barbara Turchetto  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
German to Italian
+ ...
No Jul 17, 2019

I don't send emails or reminders to people who do not close the questions they posted, but I like getting some sort of feedback when I devote time "helping" colleagues, and I think it is a matter of politeness.

Maja_K
Christopher Schröder
Sabrina Bruna
Philippe Etienne
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Christel Zipfel
Jessica Noyes

Maja_K
Germany
Member (2013)
English to Macedonian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agree Jul 17, 2019

Barbara Turchetto wrote:

I like getting some sort of feedback when I devote time "helping" colleagues, and I think it is a matter of politeness.

That's why I asked this question - what if the colleague asking the question is not so "polite" and does not give feedback. What then ?

[Edited at 2019-07-17 10:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-07-17 10:43 GMT]

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 22:29
Chinese to English
+ ...
No Jul 17, 2019

I really have better things to do.

TargamaT team

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Draw your own conclusions Jul 17, 2019

Maja_K wrote:

....what if the colleague asking the question is not so "polite" and does not give feedback. What then?

You are free to draw your personal conclusions and decide to refrain from answering further questions of this asker or eventually filter him/her.

Maja_K
ahartje
Zeineb Nalouti
mughwI
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Robert Forstag
Josephine Cassar

Maja_K
Germany
Member (2013)
English to Macedonian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
As if the rest of us don't have better things to do Jul 17, 2019

Lincoln Hui wrote:

And that's not the point. The point is that if someone asks for a help from their colleagues, and gets it (or at least the colleagues try to help by proposing different answers to the query) isn't it polite to give some kind of a feedback?

Adam Warren
Barbara Turchetto

Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
Two different matters Jul 17, 2019

Maja_K wrote:

Lincoln Hui wrote:

And that's not the point. The point is that if someone asks for a help from their colleagues, and gets it (or at least the colleagues try to help by proposing different answers to the query) isn't it polite to give some kind of a feedback?

This is a completely different matter from ME sending THEM an email. You're moving the goalposts to the moon.

Maja_K
Germany
Member (2013)
English to Macedonian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Are you a literalist ? Jul 17, 2019

Lincoln Hui wrote:

Maja_K wrote:

Lincoln Hui wrote:

This is a completely different matter from ME sending THEM an email. You're moving the goalposts to the moon.

I do not start discussions here just for the sake of it. There is a reason why I asked the question, and I would like to hear what the other proz members' opinion is. I really don't need someone to patronize me. I am sure many people have encountered the situation I depicted and I would really want to share experiences on this one. So, if you do not have an opinion, you can freely refrain from "barging" into the discussion.

Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
Do you even remember what your question was? Jul 17, 2019

You got an answer, which you seem to feel the need to patronize by going completely off-topic. There's being polite, and there's being the polite police. There is really nothing less polite than to make other people's politeness your business.

Daryo

Maja_K
Germany
Member (2013)
English to Macedonian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OMG ... Jul 17, 2019

Lincoln Hui wrote:

You got an answer, which you seem to feel the need to patronize by going completely off-topic. There's being polite, and there's being the polite police. There is really nothing less polite than to make other people's politeness your business.

Someone else first used the word "polite", hence I continued discussing in this direction. But, I am sure what they meant was "professional courtesy" instead. So, you see, there is no "polite police" here, it's something else being discussed, and like I said - if you don't have any constructive input, please do not indulge yourself too much here, I am not that "polite" to put up with it.

Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
. Jul 17, 2019

So, you see, there is no "polite police"

o you send emails as a reminder to people who post questions here

I suppose not. It's just harassment, pure and simple.

Maja_K
Germany
Member (2013)
English to Macedonian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Are you "misunderstanding" this on purpose or you are that thick ? Jul 17, 2019

Lincoln Hui wrote:

So, you see, there is no "polite police"

o you send emails as a reminder to people who post questions here

I suppose not. It's just harassment, pure and simple.

It's about professional courtesy, as stated in the previous comment.

Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
. Jul 17, 2019

Whether they show professional courtesy or not is their problem.
You sending them an email is your problem.
Just because you don't think they're being polite doesn't mean you have to send them an email.
Just because you don't think they're being polite doesn't mean you should send them an email.

If someone wears a T-shirt in public promoting creationism, they're the crazy one.
If you start confronting people who wear T-shirts promoting cr
... See more
Just because you don't think they're being polite doesn't mean you have to send them an email.
Just because you don't think they're being polite doesn't mean you should send them an email.

If someone wears a T-shirt in public promoting creationism, they're the crazy one.
If you start confronting people who wear T-shirts promoting creationism in public, you're the crazy one.
Collapse

Zibow Retailleau

Maja_K
Germany
Member (2013)
English to Macedonian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Jul 17, 2019

Lincoln Hui wrote:

If you start confronting people who wear T-shirts promoting creationism in public, you're the crazy one.

Professional courtesy should not be treated as someone's "right" for it to be chosen to be exercised or not, it should be the rule, but whatever. At least it's something that I can decide upon whether a person will be a long-term collaboration or not. And in this case of not giving any feedback it is not only about not giving the feedback, but instead it's about not giving credit/acknowledgement for the help.

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
@Maja Jul 17, 2019

Your question and concern here are entirely reasonable, and I think it unfortunate that the topic has gotten sidetracked.

I find it irritating when askers do not show me proper consideration, whether this takes the form of not choosing my answer when it seems clearly preferable to the other suggestions offered, choosing an answer essentially identical to mine that was clearly posted later, or systematically - over the course of multiple questions over some stretch of time - not awar
... See more
Your question and concern here are entirely reasonable, and I think it unfortunate that the topic has gotten sidetracked.

I find it irritating when askers do not show me proper consideration, whether this takes the form of not choosing my answer when it seems clearly preferable to the other suggestions offered, choosing an answer essentially identical to mine that was clearly posted later, or systematically - over the course of multiple questions over some stretch of time - not awarding points to my suggestion when it clearly seemed to be the best alternative offered. I also do not like it when people make a habit of closing questions without grading them - even when clearly knowledgable and helpful suggestions have been offered.

On a very few occasions, I have sent e-mails to express my displeasure over such behavior, but this generally has not resulted in any meaningful apology or improved conduct thereafter, and so I no longer do it. I also agree with Lincoln’s implication that such reactions are a bit over the top.

Instead, I simply choose to not respond to the posts of such persons. I have no interest in attempting to offer help to anyone who shows a basic lack of appreciation, respect and consideration. (I stress here that I only “write people off” in such a way when a clear pattern of the kinds of behavior I’ve described has emerged over time, and never in reaction to a single incident.)

There are ways others than those stated here that people can behave disrespectfully and offensively in Kudoz, but without breaking any of that forum’s rules, which really only cover the most egregious instances of misconduct. Each participant has to find his or her own manner of dealing with such indignities in ways that maintain their sanity, and that preserve their own decorum.

[Edited at 2019-07-17 18:12 GMT]
Collapse

Maja_K
Adam Warren
Christopher Schröder
Michele Fauble
Philip Lees
Sabrina Bruna
Barbara Turchetto

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Open kudoz questions

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »