Carla Morra
Carla Morra  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:56
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 3, 2020

Hello all!

I'm currently working on a translation of a book I love which has been published two years ago in the UK and not translated into Italian yet.
I've been in touch with many Italian publishers but they don't seem interested.
I am in touch with the author with whom I have regular meetings. I'm also in touch with the author's publisher. They all cannot wait for an Italian version to be published too. I have started considering self publishing but can't seem to fin
... See more
Hello all!

I'm currently working on a translation of a book I love which has been published two years ago in the UK and not translated into Italian yet.
I am in touch with the author with whom I have regular meetings. I'm also in touch with the author's publisher. They all cannot wait for an Italian version to be published too. I have started considering self publishing but can't seem to find useful info about how it works in Italy.

Can anyone shed some light on the matter, please?

Carla
Collapse

rileybrown11 (X)
david liam (X)

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
In my opinion Nov 3, 2020

Carla Morra wrote:

Hello all!

I am in touch with the author with whom I have regular meetings. I'm also in touch with the author's publisher. They all cannot wait for an Italian version to be published too. I have started considering self publishing but can't seem to find useful info about how it works in Italy.

Can anyone shed some light on the matter, please?

You seem to be asking two questions.

1. Publication by others

I have worked with UK and Italian publishers, for example on an English-language edition of an Italian book, translated by me. The Italian publisher negotiated with the UK publisher and they agreed the terms between them.

In my opinion the correct route to take would be to get the UK publisher to find an Italian publisher of their own choosing (who may be one recommended by you) and negotiate an agreement, if they are interested in doing so.

2. Self-publication

A few minutes with Google (in Italian) will point you in the best direction. This is one example of the links you can find: https://www.aranzulla.it/come-pubblicare-un-libro-gratis-28323.html

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Carla Nov 4, 2020

As far as I know, it’s up to the author to choose to go down the route of self-publication and not to the translator.

philgoddard

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Self publishing in Italy

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »