Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:57
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Gregory Dec 23, 2019

Gregory Lassale wrote:
I checked out tlTerm... the GUI is buggy and badly antiquated.

I can confirm that the GUI on Windows looks and works perfectly all right and does look like it was designed for a modern version of Windows. It may be that their Mac UI was added as an afterthought or hasn't been comprehensively tested. I did not spend a lot of time in the program itself, but it looks less impressive when you run it yourself, compared to the dictionaries they show in the videos.

It is my understanding that tlTerm's ancestor was originally designed from scratch as an in-house tool to help bring a lexicography department into the 20th century (and successfully, too, since the program has been key in several dictionary publications since). I am not surprised that the tool isn't intuitive -- it's meant to be used in an environment where users are paid salaries and have an IT department, so it's more important that the tool does what it's supposed to do than for it to do what it does easily for new users.

I guess that shouldn't be all that surprising given that it's a niche market within a niche market within a niche market.

Yes, and I suspect the majority of users of this type of tool work for universities or companies with large budgets who use in-house tools that they guard jealously against "outsiders" from other universities.

Gregory Lassale
Gregory Lassale  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:57
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
or... Dec 23, 2019

Hans Lenting wrote:

Perhaps you can persuade Joachim to develop a dedicated terms app or to enhance Xoterm with some features that would make it useable for terms storage and retrieval?

https://www.proz.com/forum/apple_mac_operating_systems/338386-[hype]_xoterm_116_released.html

That's a project I wouldn't mind undertaking. I'm not a dev but did code an application in Visual Basics a few years back for work. Just needed Google, perseverance and the will to teach myself a new skill. Or maybe I'd be in way over my head... I don't know. Only way to find out is to try. I'd need to use a beginner-friendly IDE. I just stumbled upon Creolabs. There's also Xcode. Anyone with coding experience, feel free to chime in...

Gregory Lassale
United States
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Cafetran and... Antidote? Dec 23, 2019

I will look at Cafetran's glossary section, but Antidote's custom dictionaries might do the trick.

It's far from having all the features I was looking for, but it might work.

- Multilingual (French and English only, though)
- Word type
- Gender selection
- Fields for singular/plural and masculine/feminine forms.
- Definition section
- Translation section

And given how the regular dictionaries work, I'm wondering if there isn't
... See more
I will look at Cafetran's glossary section, but Antidote's custom dictionaries might do the trick.

It's far from having all the features I was looking for, but it might work.

- Multilingual (French and English only, though)
- Word type
- Gender selection
- Fields for singular/plural and masculine/feminine forms.
- Definition section
- Translation section

And given how the regular dictionaries work, I'm wondering if there isn't a way to link synonyms and list conjugated forms.

And dictionaries can be exported in tab-delimited TEXT docs that can be opened in word processing or spreadsheet apps.

I like it.
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Antidote Dec 23, 2019

This is a brilliant idea.

With Antidote, in addition to what you list, you can set conjugated form (verbs) and declension (nouns, adjectives) as well.

Plus, you can have multiple personal dictionaries (for example per domain, per client, etc.)

I can't see the synonym function, but this could be a useful request for their official support. In the meantime, maybe this info can be added in the definition, and entry duplication can be used to make the process q
... See more
This is a brilliant idea.

With Antidote, in addition to what you list, you can set conjugated form (verbs) and declension (nouns, adjectives) as well.

Plus, you can have multiple personal dictionaries (for example per domain, per client, etc.)

I can't see the synonym function, but this could be a useful request for their official support. In the meantime, maybe this info can be added in the definition, and entry duplication can be used to make the process quicker.

The possibility to import/export Tab delimited TXT is excellent and versatile. Especially, you can use a project glossary (from CafeTran or another tool) to quickly import new terms, and add useful (although maybe time consuming) information to it in Antidote.

https://www.antidote.info/fr/antidote-10/documentation/guide-utilisation/dictionnaires-personnels/ajouter-une-entree-a-un-dictionnaire-personnel

Yes, I can definitely see CafeTran and Antidote complementing each other.

For me, the "main glossary" should still be in a readily usable form for CafeTran (TXT, CSV or TSV), unless you often work outside CafeTran and prefer a separate solution (with the caveat of having to perform manual searches, since there is no automatic matching).

[Edited at 2019-12-23 19:46 GMT]
Collapse

Gregory Lassale
United States
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
@Jean Dec 23, 2019

I don't see a way to add synonyms either. I emailed Druide to see if I was missing something, and if not whether the could add it in a future release.

The synonyms, antonyms, combinations, semantic field, family, quotations and history tabs are all still there for personal dictionaries entries, but I don't see a way to enter any info in those fields anywhere.

Gregory Lassale
United States
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Nope Dec 24, 2019

Druide support no synonym feature for personal dic. entries. Others have requested the feature. They might consider it.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Swiftly programming Dec 24, 2019

Gregory Lassale wrote:

That's a project I wouldn't mind undertaking. I'm not a dev but did code an application in Visual Basics a few years back for work.

It's Swift nowadays ...

https://docs.swift.org/swift-book/

Just like Xcode, Swift is cross-platform.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
KM Dec 24, 2019

I think that given the tiny size of your glossary, a Keyboard Maestro macro will do.

Gregory Lassale
United States
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
yep Dec 24, 2019

Hans Lenting wrote:

It's Swift nowadays ...

Yep. Something new to learn. A good thing. That said, I think using Antidote will be enough, especially if/when they add synonyms to custom entries.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:57
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
GoldenDict (really is Golden!) Apr 15, 2020

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to chime in, since I have been very impressed with GoldenDict lately. Open source, runs on Linux/Mac/Windows, and can open/search a TON of different terminology formats.

Also, if you know where to look online, there are also gazillions of high quality dictionaries/glossaries available in formats supported by GoldenDict. Even legalally suspect (but amazing) stuff like the entire Dutch-English Van Dale:

Van Dale Handwoordenboe
... See more
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to chime in, since I have been very impressed with GoldenDict lately. Open source, runs on Linux/Mac/Windows, and can open/search a TON of different terminology formats.

Also, if you know where to look online, there are also gazillions of high quality dictionaries/glossaries available in formats supported by GoldenDict. Even legalally suspect (but amazing) stuff like the entire Dutch-English Van Dale:

Van Dale Handwoordenboek Nederlands-Engels (105,319 Dutch-English entries)

Goldendict can easily/quickly index a TON of files and make them ready for searching. Most formats need to be compiled, apart from e.g. ".dsl" (an older ABBYY format).

1. Download and install GoldenDict from here: https://github.com/goldendict/goldendict
2. Download this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pvq7e0x5kpf0rp7/GoldenDict%20test%20pack.zip?dl=0
3. In GoldenDict, go to Edit > Dictionaries > Files > Add... and add the above files
4. Have fun searching (and report back here)!

Capture

Michael

PS: some crazy diamond has also made a TON of StarDict dictionaries searchable from: http://www.stardict.net/index.php
PPS: also have a look here: http://beijerdictionary.com/software
Collapse

Hans Lenting

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Thank you! Apr 16, 2020

Thank you for the nice starter package, Michael!

I've downloaded the Mac version:

Screenshot 2020-04-16 at 11.01.01

From the credits I can see that it's a huge project! It reminds me of IntelliWebSearch (at least for the web searches).

BTW: While writing this posting, I noticed that GD had hijacked my CMD+C ... Had to deactivate this checkbox:

Screenshot 2020-04-16 at 11.03.18

BTW: Do you know whether GD can be integrated into CafeTran Espresso, to have all words of a TU searched?

Can feed look up word to external program and print program output along other dictionary results

[Edited at 2020-04-17 02:02 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Standalone terminology management / glossary creation software

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »