Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 01:12
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
You got it, Chris S Dec 22, 2016

Chris S wrote:
Still failing to see the point...

But that's cool, I can just not participate.

Exactly. If you see no value in the SecurePRO program, just ignore it.

I work mainly with central banks, govt agencies, banks and blue chip companies...

I'm not entirely sure why it would be a problem if I wasn't who I say I am as long as I translate the text properly.

It is not my place to do the thinking for the governments and end clients of the world, who for their own reasons have come up with the idea that one should know who one is doing business with, a consequence of which is that now we, as an industry, are becoming subject to such requirements, but it does occur to me that if the central banks, govt agencies, banks and blue chip companies who send work to you don't know who you are, you could be anyone. Including a hacker, a foreign adversary, an employee of a competitor, etc. Whether the translations you return to them are polished or not.

I'm not saying this happens a lot, obviously it doesn't and it's not the point of the program.

Perhaps this is just some weird US thing. It doesn't seem to offer any value here in Europe.

It it is pretty clear that being required to know who you are working with is not a local trend, but a global one. You work for banks, maybe Google "KYC"...

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
Regarding the case where the agency won't reveal the name of the translator to the end client Dec 22, 2016

Henry Dotterer wrote:

To put it all in simple terms, please consider a very straightforward case where an end client is requiring, in written agreement with a translation company, that the identity of each translator involved in a project be verified.

(In this case, the end client is not concerned with your profile; they just want to know that the LSPs knows who will be given access to their content. ...

But maybe they should, or with information about me.
Someone (in this case the agency) will nevertheless look at my profile for that. I myself am (in the case you describe) not dealing with the end client but only with the agency. I understand that the agency will try to fulfill the end client's requirements. But to me what counts is the relationship with the agency. I have no control over what the agency does with my files. They could have a confidentiality agreement with the end client or maybe they don't really have one and just insist on my verified credentials. They might break their own confidentiality agreement with the end client or they might not. What I am trying to say is that in this case, the middleman (the agency) should be very verified so to speak. They won't tell the client who I am; is that a good thing? They are not revealing the name of the translator who signed the NDA and/or carried out the translation.
I am just bringing this up because unscrupulous people will go to any lengths. I think it comes down to openness and justifiable trust. The more information is out there that the client (agency or end client) can verify/confirm themselves, the more you can trust that person/agency to actually live up to that confidentiality. If I were an end client with a very confidential document, I would want to know exactly who it really is that translates my document. By name and profile or website, LinkedIn, etc.

PS:
I have no control over what the agency does with my files

-- unless I have that clarified in the NDA or my own terms and conditions.

[Edited at 2016-12-22 22:29 GMT]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Verification of LinkedIn profile added Dec 23, 2016

Henry Dotterer wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

What I found interesting about Miicard is their idea that you can connect your profiles on other sites to your verification card. In other words, when someone visits your Miicard card, they can also see which e.g. Facebook page is really yours, which LinkedIn profile is really yours, etc. Sometimes when I google the name of a translator, I may come across e.g. a LinkedIn profile that appears to be theirs, but there's no quick or easy way of telling for certain whether that LinkedIn profile is the profile of the translator that I'm googling for.

That is something we looked into during the development phase. I did not give this high priority, but it is something we planned to release later, and could do prior to making SecurePRO cards public, if there is a feeling that this would be worthwhile.

Based on this exchange, we decided to add display of (previously confirmed) LinkedIn verification.

Please let us know what you think.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Program update and list of security practices posted for feedback Aug 20, 2017

I have started a new thread with some updates on the program and a list of security practices that has been derived from the information entered into SecurePRO cards.

See http://www.proz.com/topic/317735

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Plus features: Announcing the SecurePRO™ program

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »