Thread poster: Fiona Grace Peterson
Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:45
English to Italian
Good point Aug 7, 2017

Robert Forstag wrote:

I personally don't understand (especially given the low rates for which they undoubtedly are working) how persons using Kudoz so intensively can manage to earn anything approaching an acceptable fee for their work. After all, it takes time to post each query (with accompanying context and explanation), evaluate the suggestions and comments received for each, and then grade them all afterward.

I ask myself that very same question every time I see an asker post dozens of questions they could have easily found an answer to within a couple minutes on a dictionary and/or on Google... and that happens relatively often.

If it were possible to post a question only about "terms that are too new or specialized to appear in most glossaries or dictionaries" (as quoted by Fiona), and if askers systematically checked past questions and online resources before posting, I believe the total number of questions per day would fall by at least 90%...

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Proz.com definition Aug 7, 2017

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

If it were possible to post a question only about "terms that are too new or specialized to appear in most glossaries or dictionaries" (as quoted by Fiona), and if askers systematically checked past questions and online resources before posting, I believe the total number of questions per day would fall by at least 90%...

Agree completely.

Let it be very clear that the definition of the type of query that should be gracing Kudoz is given on the site by Proz itself.

KudoZ™ provides professional translators, and others, with a way to solicit and share translation help on terms that are too new or specialized to appear in most glossaries or dictionaries.
http://www.proz.com/about/overview/terminology

Further explanation is provided:

KudoZ™ provides ProZ.com users a way to offer each other, and guests, free assistance in translating tough terms. Difficulty translating a tough term? For help translating a term or short phrase, post a KudoZ question and provide the context, desired target language, and other optional information.
http://www.proz.com/about/overview/kudoz/

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:45
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Limits? Aug 7, 2017

Today, English>Italian, 29 questions within a few minutes.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
"And others" - "And guests" ... Aug 7, 2017

... and my sister-in-law who studied Spanish for two weeks in Salamanca, and a friend of mine who worked at a Greek NGO for two years, and really bonded with the language, you know, and a niece of a good friend of a good friend of a woman whose husband's stepson I know, who's a non-member who once worked on a translation for a pilot project for ...

Hey, if you were born at some point and you can prove it by just showing up one day, ask whatever you want, when you want, as man
... See more
... and my sister-in-law who studied Spanish for two weeks in Salamanca, and a friend of mine who worked at a Greek NGO for two years, and really bonded with the language, you know, and a niece of a good friend of a good friend of a woman whose husband's stepson I know, who's a non-member who once worked on a translation for a pilot project for ...

Hey, if you were born at some point and you can prove it by just showing up one day, ask whatever you want, when you want, as many times as you want. We're all Word Whores here. Which is why you'll never see me on Kudoz anymore. I still find the basic term search interesting, once you've swept away the chaff of Non-ProZ, Non-ProZ, Non-ProZ, Non-ProZ, Non-ProZ, Non-ProZ, Non-ProZ, Non-ProZ, Non-ProZ, Non-ProZ, Non-ProZ, Non-ProZ, Non-ProZ, Non-ProZ, Non-ProZ, Non-ProZ, Non-ProZ, Non-ProZ, Non-ProZ, Non-ProZ, Non-ProZ, Non-ProZ members offering puerile suggestions for fun and asking tough stuff not for fun.

[Edited at 2017-08-07 19:05 GMT]
Collapse

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:45
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Exceptional? Aug 7, 2017

Fiona Grace Peterson wrote:

Counted on seven different days between the beginning of July and today, the number of queries made on a single day includes values such as 22, 29, 31, 32 and 33, peaking at 46 on one day earlier this month.

How can this be considered anything but abuse?

Agneta Pallinder
Agneta Pallinder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:45
Member (2014)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Evidently great variations between language pairs! Aug 7, 2017

I must be lucky in my language pairs, EN-SV and SV-EN. Mostly the questions are reasonable and fun to help with. Some people have an occasional habit of putting in several questions (4 - 5) in quick succession, but most do not.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Wow Aug 8, 2017

We only get like 30 questions a month in total across the three Scandi languages...

I thought it was because we've more or less completed KudoZ, and there's nothing left to ask.

Italian(s) must be special.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
yes... Aug 8, 2017

we were having fun on Facebook about this particular case... it's been going on for weeks... the questions are fairly simple, but they cover a wide range of subjects, given the nature of the work and the end client... big big online company, also famous for being a low payer...

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
System problem? Aug 8, 2017

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

we were having fun on Facebook about this particular case... it's been going on for weeks.

Has anyone thought to raise a Support Ticket. It sounds as though there may be some sort of bug.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
not sure... Aug 8, 2017

Sheila Wilson wrote:

we were having fun on Facebook about this particular case... it's been going on for weeks.

Has anyone thought to raise a Support Ticket. It sounds as though there may be some sort of bug.

although it's been going on for weeks, I wasn't really paying attention to the number of questions asked... to be honest, it doesn't really bother me... maybe I'm more bothered about the colleagues who keep answering...

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
pure laziness in most cases Aug 8, 2017

For basic questions (such as the majority of the ones you are referring to) it takes as much time to enter the proper details in the asker's form as it does to perform a web search in the many available online resources.

I have been away for KudoZ for quite some time, after having served as a moderator for a few years. My opinion on KudoZ particpants is no longer based on the type/amount of answers provided but on the kind of questions asked.

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
What I wondered... Aug 8, 2017

...is how it was physically possible to post 29 Kudoz questions like those in under 2 minutes. And no, I'm pretty sure no "bug" is involved.

[Edited at 2017-08-08 14:44 GMT]

Fiona Grace Peterson
Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Practice makes perfect!! Aug 8, 2017

Rachel Fell wrote:

What I wondered is how it was physically possible to post 29 Kudoz questions like those in under 2 minutes.

Well, they've had a lot of practice at honing their skills, if that counts for anything...

Fiona Grace Peterson
Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Eat Me Aug 8, 2017

I wasn't really paying attention to the number of questions asked... to be honest, it doesn't really bother me...

It doesn't bother me either, I was just curious as to when the limit I remembered (10 questions per day, as Tina mentioned) swelled to 46, like something out of Alice in Wonderland.

maybe I'm more bothered about the colleagues who keep answering...

Hear hear!!

Tommaso Martelli
Tommaso Martelli  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Good point Aug 8, 2017

although it's been going on for weeks, I wasn't really paying attention to the number of questions asked... to be honest, it doesn't really bother me... maybe I'm more bothered about the colleagues who keep answering... :D

I had the same thought. Why helping someone who's just lazy and doesn't even want to do some basic web research before posting a question (because he or she is apparently underpaid, which would be by no means an excuse)?

Just craving for KudoZ points?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Number of questions permitted per day - clarification requested

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »